For the current cohort of Syrian refugees, there has been a rise in the use of social media, such as Whatsapp and Twitter, as a form of communication and information sharing. Immigrants and refugees are using technology and social media at all stages of their journeys:
- For translation
- For access to information and services
- To keep in touch with family and friends
At the same time these forms of communication can just as easily carry misinformation that can be harmful to immigrant and refugees’ settlement. Technology and social media offer an opportunity to provide much-needed information to refugees in new ways.
- Reviewed how refugees use technology and social media
- Outlined the challenges and opportunities for service providers engaging with Syrian refugees and other newcomers through technology and social media
- Featured examples of organizations using social media to reach more refugees and newcomers
To watch the video, click here.