Please note the AMSSA office will be closed for the holidays from December 21, 2018 to January 1, 2019. The office will re-open on January 2, 2019.
Read our Latest Migration Matters Info Sheet: Racial Equity in the Settlement Sector
AMSSA's Migration Matters Info Sheet series gives an overview
of important topics in settlement and migration.
In our latest info sheet, learn about how your organization can develop racial equity and assist clients who report being victims of racism.
Find the Racial Equity in the Settlement Sector Info Sheet and previous info sheets by clicking here.
Register for the Refugee Mental Health Online Learning Module
All refugees are survivors of trauma to some extent, and Refugee Mental Health is complex, because the refugee experience is characterized by danger, loss, and uncertainty. The online module identifies different refugee categories in Canada, stages of refuge and resettlement stress factors that contribute to mental health challenges for Refugees. It describes approaches and practical tools for assessing refugee trauma and addressing mental health needs. The module will help front-line workers recognize the signs and symptoms of vicarious trauma/burnout and best practices for self-care.
The online module, which takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete, can be taken as an individual or as a group. After completion of the workshop and the evaluation, learners will receive a certificate of completion.
Immigration for BC's Future: A Call for Action to Strengthen Newcomer Integration
On September 27, 2018, AMSSA released its report calling for action from the Government of BC to increase support for the integration of newcomers. The report provides a series of significant recommendations for investments into BC's immigration integration system.
AMSSA consulted over 200 individuals from newcomer serving agencies and other stakeholders such as the private sector, academia, and health authorities. The following 4 key recommendations were identified among the 12 in the report:
- Creation of a comprehensive multi-pronged five-year immigration strategy;
- Reinstate a Provincial Ministry of Immigration and Multiculturalism;
- Creation of an attraction and retention strategy; and
- Creation of a comprehensive workforce development strategy for newcomers.
2019 Multifaith Calendars are Available!
Kick off the new year with the 2019 Multifaith Calendar!
The Multifaith Calendar:
- Provides information on 14 world religions and spiritual paths, as well as other festivities
- Promotes diversity through interfaith, multifaith, and cross-cultural understanding
- Is a unique resource for organizations and institutions to demonstrate inclusivity and a welcoming environment for clients, customers, and employees