Safe Harbour: Respect for All is a long-standing program coordinated by AMSSA that provides diversity training and resources to businesses, institutions and organizations. Interactive Safe Harbour workshops have been delivered to managers and staff of over 1,000 businesses, institutions and organizations across BC since 2004. These workshops have supported participants to learn inclusive practices aimed at creating more welcoming workplaces for staff and clients.
While Safe Harbour is now delivered by AMSSA, the program was originally created by the Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society with support from community partners. AMSSA is a not-for-profit that has been strengthening diversity in BC for over 39 years, supporting its 70+ member organizations doing immigrant settlement and multicultural work.
AMSSA’s Safe Harbour program received the Organizational Category Provincial Nesika Award in 2011. The Provincial Nesika Awards, recently renamed the BC Multicultural Awards, celebrate British Columbia’s diverse communities by recognizing the people, organizations and communities bringing together British Columbia’s diverse cultural groups.
In 2009, AMSSA created the Safe Harbour Champion Awards to recognize community leaders for embracing the value of diversity in their workplaces and communities. Recipients of this award include Vancity (2014), James Bay New Horizon (2013), Canada Safeway (2012), Comox Valley Airport (2011), Maywood Community School (2010), and the City of Burnaby (2009).
AMSSA works in partnership with many organizations to deliver the Safe Harbour program. We gratefully acknowledge all our past and current community partners. In particular, we recognize the hard work and dedication of our recent community organizers:
- Abbotsford Community Services
- Burnaby Family Life
- Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society
- Cowichan Valley Intercultural Society
- Creative Employment Access Society
- DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society
- Family Education and Support Centre
- Intercultural Association of Greater Victoria
- Immigrant Welcome Centre of Campbell River
- Kelowna Community Resource Society
- Pacific Community Resources Society
- Powell River Diversity Initiative
- Richmond Multicultural Community Services
- South Vancouver Neighbourhood House